Congrats to Kendrick Lamar on taking home five awards at last night’s GRAMMY awards. And while I’m sure all that hardware feels pretty good, getting love and acknowledgement from your hometown has to feel even better. If you haven’t already, check out Lamar’s impressive award-show performance and Compton Mayor Aja Brown’s press release below.
Macklemore is back in the spotlight with a new song titled White privilege II. True to its name, the song is a nine minute effort to make sense of being a white person — a white hip-hop artist, no less — at a time of significant racial unrest.
Here’s what’s happening in our neck of the woods:
- The New York Times reports that California will be the first state to pass a ‘Yes means yes’ bill, Feministing explains why affirmative consent should be the standard.
- Awesome feminist and media critic Anita Sarkeesian continues to point out the culture of sexism in video games (YouTube vid). Of course, she’s met with death and rape threats.
- Lifetime promises to bring out the strong black woman in white women.
- Al Sharpton delivered the eulogy at Michael Brown’s funeral and Brittany Cooper explains why it’s time for Sharpton to move aside for new black leadership.
- Thirteen people were arrested outside of Senator Cory Booker’s Newark office for protesting the United State’s role in the Palestine-Israel conflict.
- Some of the biggest names in Hip Hop release a song entitled Dont’ Shoot.
- Over 100 people were arrested outside the White House as protesters sought relief for undocumented immigrants.